The only thing duller than the topic of carpet cleaners, is the colour of your carpet when you realize that the cleaning products in your cupboard are not engineered for deep upholstery cleaning. While you may catch yourself wandering whether some diluted hand washing powder could do the trick, take it from me, it doesn’t.
On the other hand, professional carpet cleaning services are super expensive, and a luxury that most of us cannot afford. If you are looking for a middle-ground, this article presents a list of the best carpet cleaners known to mankind, so when you go into the dying dog (or whatever that yoga pose is called) you can inhale with confidence.
Top 10 Carpet Cleaners
BISSEL Big Green Carpet Cleaner
They should have called this one the Big Green Dream Clean, because it is so quick and convenient to use. Not only will it leave your carpets crisp, clean and hygienic, but the machine itself is super easy to clean. Two large tanks ensure that cleaning bigger areas doesn’t leave you running to and fro from the kitchen sink. The machine is top of the range for its superior suction power that reduces drying time in comparison with competitor carpet cleaners.
- Two large water tanks
- Power cord of 25 ft
- Advanced suction power reduces drying time
- Cleans with both forward and backward motions
- Eliminates pet odours
- Can be used for upholstery
- Very bulky (and heavy) design requires extra storage space
- The wide machine is not carpet-edge friendly
Shark Sonic Duo
The Shark Sonic Duo is one of the best carpet cleaners in the world. This nifty little device is perfect for those nooks and crannies that are difficult to reach. The super handy carpet cleaner is also designed for use on hard floors, making it the perfect choice if you are looking for an all-in-one cleaning machine. At 1000 scrubs per minute this powerful machine is capable of removing stains and stubborn dirt from your floors and carpets. The microfiber washable pads are easy to set up and convenient to clean.
- Suitable for carpets and hard floors
- Swivel steering for easy manoeuvring
- 1000 scrubs per minute removes dirt easily
- Headlights for night cleaning/dark corners
- Comes with 5 reusable pads for all your different needs
- It has no vacuum or suction power so it is more suited to hard surfaces
Rug Doctor Mighty Pro X3
Unlike the Bissell Big Green, the Rug Doctor does not have the feature that cleans from both angles, meaning you will need to make slightly more effort over the same area. However, this heavy duty carpet cleaner is the top choice among the best carpet cleaners for large stains and upholstery cleaning. The quality and power of this machine have earned its professional status. Awarded the highest rating by the Carpet and Rug Institute, as well as the “Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval”, this carpet cleaner is guaranteed to get the job done.
- 9 Gallon tank cleans over 147 square feet before refill
- Powerful suction vacuum reduces dry time
- Comes with a 12 foot hose for stairs and other upholstery
- Triple action vibrating brush will remove dirt by agitation
- Infuses the carpet with water and cleaning solution for the perfect deep clean
- One of the pricier options on the market
- Not suited for tight spaces or crowded areas
- Cleans in one direction only
Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe
The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe is designed to clean multiple fabric surfaces, including carpets, around your home. This convenient machine has a 20 foot cord that makes it easy to clean all the rooms in the house without constantly moving the plug. It also comes with a heated air feature for quicker drying times. Hoover is the giant of the cleaning industry and this particular design shows that they have been in the game for years.
- Cleans carpets and is equipped with fittings for stairs, upholstery and crevices
- 8 foot hose and 20 foot cord
- Fast drying time with heated air
- Lacks specific tool for cleaning edges of carpets
- Slightly noisier than other options on the market, but not ridiculously loud
BISSELL Deep Clean Premier Pet
If you are looking for a cleaning machine to take care of pet problems, the BISSELL Deep Clean Premier Pet is one of the best carpet cleaners around. This device has proven superior to competitors in removing the notoriously pervasive smell of cat pee. Whether your dog, cat, or rabbit has presented you with a problem, this cleaning machine can take care of both odor and aesthetic problems. Specifically designed to collect the inevitable shed hairs, the machine actually comes with a pet hair collection basket. It is also great as a standard deep cleaning carpet tool and can be used in any home, whether you have pets or not.
- Full size carpet cleaner
- Surround suction for efficient drying time
- Eliminates odors better than competitors
- 3 Inch tough stain brush and deep reach tool
- The machine is fairly heavy
- The brush section of the deep reach tool is unpleasant to clean after use
Hoover Steam Vac Plus with Clean Surge Carpet Cleaner
One of the more affordable items on the list, this little baby will have your home clean in no time! Spinscrub Brush Technology targets dirt from every angle with its patented 360 degree scrubbing motion. The two tanks are handy for keeping clean and dirty water separate, making your cleaning quicker and easier than ever before. The Clean Surge easy control feature is especially useful for concentrating detergent on one area.
- Tool mode pauses scrubbing in unexpected situations
- Dual tank for clean and dirty water
- Clean Surge allows control of extra detergent for tough spots
- Spinscrub targets dirt from every angle
- Extremely nifty fitting for tight spots and upholstery
- The water tank is not the largest and sometimes needs to be refilled in the middle of cleaning
- The machine is best suited for maintenance cleaning rather than stain removal
BISSELL SpotClean Professional Portable
Excellent for cleaning carpets, stairs and upholstery, the BISSELL SpotClean Professional Portable Carpet Cleaner is perfect for use in the home. Cleaning the couch and car has never been so easy and can take care of unwanted spills and stains in a heartbeat. The only flipside to this powerful machine is that the hose is rather short, making it more suited to upholstery or rug cleaning than actual carpets. That being said, it is effective to use in isolated areas and is easy to use.
- Deep cleans upholstery
- Combats isolated spills and stains instantly
- 3m hose and 6.6m cable
- Difficult to fill and empty water tanks
- Not suited to clean a full carpet
Hoover Max Extract Dual V
This model of Hoover carpet cleaner comes with a sixth brush, making it more effective than the standard 5 brush versions. A 20 foot cord makes this cleaner a great choice for cleaning rooms on a single floor without having to move from plug point to plug point. Perhaps the most enticing feature is the spill pickup mode, which has a suction feature for easy cleaning no matter what is on the floor.
- Spill pickup mode
- Spinscrub technology for 360 degree cleaning action
- Wide cleaning nozzle ideal for large floor areas
- Height adjustment
- Cord 20 feet long and Hose 8 feet long
- Practiced skill is needed to clean the machine
- Small water tank
BISSELL Little Green ProHeat
Super compact and powerful, this little machine is one of the best carpet cleaners for a smaller living space. It comes with an inbuilt heating device that aids in the efficient removal of dirt and stains. The powerful spray and suction make for easy cleaning with spills such as red wine or pet pee. The tanks are easy to fill and empty, and the machine can be used for upholstery as well as stair cleaning too.
- Cleans up spills effectively
- Inbuilt water heater
- Compact Design
- Multipurpose cleaner for upholstery, carpets and stairs
- Better suited for isolated dirt removal
Bissell Spotbot Pet
This hands free carpet cleaner is capable of cleaning up pet accidents and spills at a moment’s notice. The compact machine is ideal for stubborn areas of the carpet that need a little extra TLC. With the push of a button you can spray, brush and clean both fresh and old pet stains. The two settings are designed specifically for quick cleaning (spills) or deep cleaning (old dirt). With this little machine, you will never have to get your hands dirty cleaning up after your pets again.
- Quick clean and deep clean mode
- Compact Design
- Hands Free (just push the button, and it moves itself)
- Is not as effective at eliminating odours such as cat pee
Which Is The Best Carpet Cleaner For Your Home? Fast Guide
After taking a good hard look at the top ten carpet cleaners listed in this article, it is clear that each one suits a different need. While some are multifunctional and excellent for small areas or isolated incidents, others are more robust and designed for the larger floor area. That being said, lets dive into the details of which one is the best choice for you and your lifestyle.
Personally, I was most impressed by the Shark Sonic Duo, which can clean both hard surfaces and carpets. Then again I don’t actually have carpets, although I can see it would be useful for rugs and upholstery too. I loved the swivel function and its compact size that makes it ideal for cleaning tight spaces and troublesome corners.
For the standard home with carpets, I would recommend going for the Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe, which features a long cord for cleaning multiple rooms. While the Hoover Max Dual V also has a long cord, the Power Scrub Deluxe has the added benefit of fittings for stairs, crevices and upholstery. This makes it a multi-functional cleaning machine and you will get more out of your investment.
Those among us prone to frequent spillage should opt for the Bissell SpotClean Professional Portable, which is designed specifically to clean isolated areas. However if the spills you need to keep cleaning are pet-related, it is advisable to opt for the Bissell Deep Clean Premier Pet. This cleaning machine has proven superior in the elimination of odours and in picking up unwanted hairs.
While the Bissel SpotBot Pet is handy for its hands free feature, this device can only really be used for your pet problems and doesn’t have the added benefit of odourless technology that comes with the SpotClean Professional Portable. For the same reason, the Bissel Little Green Pro Heat didn’t make it to the recommendation, but both of these products will clean your carpet effectively.
For the professional cleaner, or if you own a mansion and need to clean large spaces on a regular basis, the Rug Doctor Mighty Pro 3X is for you. With an outstanding ability to clean 147 square feet in one go, you will maximize efficiency with this deep cleaning machine. It can also clean stairs and has a suction feature that reduces drying time which has earned it several awards.
Cleaning can end up taking a lot of time without the right equipment, so investing in one of these products is a sure-fire way to free up some extra time.
So there you have it, the best carpet cleaners on the market to suit your every need. Whether you want to start a professional cleaning business, take care of the “occasional” red wine stain or clean up after your animals, these choices are guaranteed to keep your home sparkly clean. By investing in one of the carpet cleaners mentioned above, you will also save yourself money in the long term. Whatever you choose, you will be making a major lifestyle upgrade so have fun buying your new cleaning machine and enjoy all of the benefits that come with it!